Chargers Defend Ownership of 518

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chargers Defend Ownership of 518

Skylar Lien

Skylar Lien

Skylar Lien

Skylar Lien, Editor

In preparation for the rivalry game against Clear Creek High School, a blackout pep rally was held to hype up the student body. During the underclassmen pep rally, the freshmen won the spirit stick over the sophomores for the second time in Clear Springs history. Meanwhile, the seniors defended the spirit stick against the juniors, winning with .196 decibels in comparison to .194 decibels from the junior class. The competition ended with hundreds of students flooding the court, cheering for the Charger football team.

The Chargers began the game with a rough first quarter and partial second quarter, allowing a Wildcat touchdown at the start of the first and second quarter (0-14), a Charger fumble recovered by a Creek defender, and an interception thrown by Clear Springs. After junior Todd Hudson slipped through the Wildcat defense to score a touchdown (7-14), the Chargers started to get back into the game. Shortly after, sophomore Isaiah Bibb made an eight-foot catch over 3 defenders thrown by sophomore Garrett Rooker, making a tie game at the end of the first half. After halftime, senior Peyton Sawyer catches the kickoff return and runs it for a touchdown, putting the Chargers ahead 21-14. Clear Springs heads to their end zone once again after forcing Clear Creek to punt the ball, but as the Chargers were about to score, a Wildcat caught our pass, intended for Sawyer, in the end zone and ran it to the 97 yard line. Charger defense prevented the Wildcats from scoring, with a sack made by junior Nick Thompson with 6:44 left in the game. A few minutes later, Sawyer scores a touchdown, putting the Chargers further ahead with a 28-17 lead. With 21 seconds left in the game, Clear Creek quickly scored a touchdown, finishing the game with a 28-21 Charger victory.